Sunday, July 31, 2011

Thor

Fantasy comic book stories can teach us a lot. oh, laugh if you will but I'm being serious. I like a story that captures universal, timeless themes like integrity, honesty, valor. I just do.
So, the other night I brought my 12 year old to Thor at the Riverview, a special treat for him to go to the late show. We didn't get home until midnight. He had to sleep until 11 the next day to recover, while I got up at 6:30 for work. I guess that's because I'm so used to doing cool things like going to late movies. (I'm teasing him)
Anyway, it was great for just the two of us to spend time together, while his little brother is at camp (even though I miss him terribly!) We both really enjoyed the movie and we talked about the importance of standing up for what's right - Thor had to learn a really hard lesson that knocked his ego down a few notches. Then he regained his power. (spoiler)
As a parent, Odin had to show Thor some tough love and banish him until he could learn his lesson, the hard way. It's a good reminder for parenting - we don't do these kiddo-s any favors by pampering. I guess what it made me think about is to continue holding my boys to high standards- good grades, working hard.. even small things like finishing their homework before they get to play video games, or not getting to go to the late movie until all the dishes are done. It would definitely be easier to take the path of least resistance and let things slide, but then they'd be lazy, arrogant men walking around on this planet, inflicting themselves on others.
Speaking of camp, now the little one is back and the big one left today. It is emotional once again. As I think about the difference between my two kids, my youngest is more likely to show his emotion, so I might offer him more affection naturally. The oldest is just as emotional, but it's not as visible. So I remind myself to give him hugs and the kisses that he wipes off his cheek because I know he needs it too. He's definitely in the "ah, mom" stage where I am starting to embarrass him. It's pretty funny. The younger guy is starting to do this too, at a much younger age.
I hope he has a wonderful week - I miss him terribly. He is very responsible and helpful, and also he chats a lot. He often makes me laugh during the day with his witty observations. Ugh. I just hope he has fun. 12 is starting to be the awkward age.
I apologize for my sort of non-flowing post. I guess it's not the easiest feat to talk about the depth of love for my kids, and the ongoing lessons and challenges that come with being a mom.
Happy almost August! Where has this summer gone? We better live it up during this last month!

No comments:

Post a Comment