Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Busy Body

Work is so busy right now. It's the height of the busiest month for loan closings and I am feeling pretty exhausted so this will be a brief post.

I also had to rush from work early to bring my 12 year old to the doctor for his 12 year old wellness visit. He had to have 3 immunizations - tetanus, chicken pox and meningitis.. so his arms are really sore. I'm so happy and grateful to report that he is the picture of health. He is now over 5 feet tall and weighs over 90 pounds. To believe that I am the mother of this boy-man is actually surreal. I have to say it and don't hate me for it but WHERE DID THE TIME GO? Needless to say, I am overwhelmed with pride for both of my boys.

Next week, my 12 year old starts his week long fencing "camp". I think it's great that he wants to try something unique.

So, my title is referencing my crazy summer schedule and also the character of Ally McBeal. Sometimes I wonder if the fact that she is in everybody's business is supposed to be heroic? When I watch tv shows, I often wonder about the thought that goes behind character development and how deliberate certain traits are and how we are supposed to respond to them, as opposed to how the other characters respond and react to them.

I don't want to lay a ton of ground work here because I am oozing laziness, but Ally works at a law firm with her serious ex boyfriend a la love of her life and his wife. Ex is Billy, his wife is Georgia. So, you can imagine there has been a lot of drama - beginning with their first "re-meeting" to realizing they are hired to work at the same firm to then realizing he is now married. Then his wife loses her job so she is hired as well.

In the episode I watched tonight, Georgia ran into one of her old flames. She wanted Ally to meet him. Then Georgia sort of dominated the situation (dinner for 4) by talking to him and dancing with him. So, Ally felt put out and confronted Georgia about it, telling her that she was using Ally as an excuse to spend time with him. Georgia later admitted it was true.

The point of my irritation came when Georgia and this guy were talking outside the courtroom in a private conversation and pose and he was about to brush something off her shoulder or something and Ally came running from the other side of the room, making this loud noise, to try to stop whatever was about to happen.

I guess my thought is - what is behind this character being the moral police for EVERYONE around here - I kid you not. She dispenses advice non-stop to anyone and everyone. So, is the intent for us to feel annoyed? I sort of think the intent is for us to adore her and to admire her morals. I'm not sure. I guess I have never known anyone quite like her and she would drive me crazy. I am completely and utterly opposed to cheating. I don't think Georgia should have been flirting with this old flame, but remember the rule of supply and demand? If you are constantly announcing your opinion when it's not asked for, it cheapens it. And yet, maybe this genius strategy is for us to love her and her flawed ways, kind of like the characters in Sex In the City. I'm not sure. I'm speculating and I'm judging, no question.

I don't know if I made my point because I love the whole show Ally McBeal. I love watching the quirky cases they argue. And I love the premise of so many aspects of the show. But now I'm wondering if this aspect of her character is going to bug me in future episodes.

Good Night and let the mind rest. As my dad said every night as he tucked me in - "Tomorrow's another big day." and that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment