Saturday, November 27, 2010

Romance the romantic

I have a new obsession now that I have Netflix live. It started out as catching up on seasons 3-6 or 4-6 of The Office. That was a wonderful diversion and I still find a lot to laugh about on that show.
Now my focus has turned to "steamy foreign films". Yes, that is a category on Netflix that I had never noticed before, I didn't create the name of the genre, wink. What got me started was a recommendation by Netflix, as in, "You liked blah blah so maybe you'd like blah blah". And so my eyes were opened to a new category that I can Watch Instantly!
These movies are perfectly kitschy, some very grainy cinematograhpy, which is fascinating in itself. The music adds a lot too, not to mention the beauty of a foreign language. I was surprised to find my limited French coming back to me quite easily. The best one I have watched to date is "Broken Embraces" with Penelope Cruz. She is such a beautiful woman. This is an intense story, complete with obsession and betrayal. I downloaded the soundtrack, and , although I was completely caught up in the moment, I have no regrets.
It does get me thinking once again about sociology, anthropology and psychology. Are Europeans more advanced sexually and don't have nearly the hang-ups most Americans have? Do Americans have the hang ups I think we have?
There seems to be more of an acceptance of bodies, nakedness and carnal need among certain cultures. Or am I forgetting that these are simply "steamy foreign films", not a true reflection of what goes on in day to day life? Other countries like France, Italy and Spain seem more open sexually to me. Either way, human behavior never ceases to be intriguing. And adding these films to the mix opens up another dialogue in our fascination with love and relationships. Think of the art it inspires, once again.
It inspired me to dream, that's for sure. Nothing sexual, but something very interesting. I often wonder what sparks a dream of a person I have not thought of or heard from in years. The first guy I really really had a crush on is Ben Parker. That crush lasted for years. He was a beautiful boy.
So, in my dream, he was at my grandparents' house visiting with his wife and little boy. I had no idea he would be there, and I have no idea what the connection to my grandparents was. They were there for Thanksgiving. When I saw him, I just felt utter joy and love for him. I gave him a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. Then I went to meet his wife, and his little boy named Axl. The dream was really vivid. And the other interesting thing, is my grandparents house was exactly my grandparents house, to the detail of the chairs. You know how sometimes places in dreams aren't what they are in real life. But this was.
Maybe this is me making peace with the loves of past.
I love what art inspires in me and what seed of a memory could have been planted.
Happy viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment