Monday, November 29, 2010

Petty?

If a pet begins to interfere with your quality of life, when is enough enough?
I'm being dramatic, maybe. But my cat is on my last nerve. He's overweight, even on weight control pet food. He meows to have the tub faucet turned on. He meows to have his food dish heaping. I'm not kidding when I say if his food dish is not overflowing, he meows for me to fill it. He meows during the night because he just wants to be in a different part of the house. I have all fans running to try to drown out his noise of banging against doors and or meowing when his little cat nap expires.
I know it might seem petty to those of you who are struggling with a nursing baby that gets up on the hour all night, or a toddler that wakes up after a mere five hours of sleep. But, I'm out of that zone now. I've become accustomed to a solid night's sleep. I served my time in the sleep deprivation realm, and I don't have much tolerance for it now. My kids are 11 and 8. The only time they wake me up is if they're sick or they have friends sleep over. Otherwise, I hover right around eight hours.... which is human... which is what I clearly need.
So, when Pedro the Lion gets it in his head that he is nocturnal, I'm at my wit's end.
In my pet psychology, I will diagnose his restlessness as stemming from his childhood (kittenhood?), his need to go outside. When we first adopted him, we lived out of the city about 30 miles. We had 3 plus acres of land, so he was able to be an outdoor and indoor cat. He roamed the fields of Oak Grove all night and slept all day. Then we moved back to Minneapolis, which I know was an adjustment for him. But it's been five years now. His life in the city outweighs his life in the country, no pun intended as he is probably ten pounds overweight, you know, in cat pounds.
I don't know. I'm grasping at an explanation in my weary state and I'm leaving you with a pretty boring post... it's because I'm tired and I'm going to bed.
I'm just trying to work on my Stephen Covey inspired plan to form a solid habit of writing- remember he said it takes 21 days to form a habit. The day I reach 21 days of blogging in a row is the day I quit and go back to my lazy ways of blogging when I feel like it. I just want to prove I can do something 21 days in a row.
Good night! Maybe I should put a sleeping pill in Pedro's food. Would that be wrong?
I think I forgot to mention that he woke me up at four a.m. this morning to fill his not quite full food dish, and I was unable to fall back to sleep. He's clearly a dish half empty kind of feline. Poor Pedro.

No comments:

Post a Comment