Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Harvest chicken

I found the best recipe for a hearty, soulful meal.

The story behind it is also sweet - my grandma bought me a gift subscription for Family Circle, something I can pretty safely say I would not have purchased for myself. Turns out, there are some pretty great recipes in it!

I started receiving the subscription November or December. I decided to try this recipe tonight -- I did not prepare it in a slow cooker as directed. I didn't have time this morning to get it ready (that's a shock!) So, I'll vouch for the fact that if you follow the directions but make it on the stove in a regular old stew pot, it turns out just fine, in a matter of about 45 minutes (not counting chopping veggies) -- drum roll..... and thanks Nanny!

Harvest Chicken:
*1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
*3 tablespoons flour
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*1/4 teaspoon pepper
*12 ounces small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
*2 cups baby carrots, cut into thirds
*2 celery stalks, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
*1 large onion, chopped
*1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained (I used about 1 cup of sliced fresh instead)
*2 cloves garlic, minced
*3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
*1/2 teaspoon dried sage
*1 cup low sodium chicken broth (I used regular salt content broth)
*1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened (I used salted)

In a medium-size bowl, stir together chicken, 2 tablespoons of the flour, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper, add to slow cooker. Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, the sage and all the broth.
Cover and cook on HIGH for four hours or on LOW for 6 hours (this is where I used the regular old stove top and cooked until the vegetables were soft, which was about 40 - 45 minutes)

In a small bowl, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon flour and the butter until a paste forms. Push the chicken and vegetables to one side and whisk paste, remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and thyme into slow cooker bowl. Cook 1 hour or more until thickened. (So, for stove top, I made the paste and was able to whisk it in as well. I did not cook it for an additional hour. It was pretty much instantaneously ready once the paste was enveloped by the existing mixture - wow do I sound like a nerd) Just note -- don't think of this as a soup -- it is a really really thick stew. I'd venture to say that it's pretty thick even without that last step of making a flour / butter paste --- so you can use your discretion when it comes to thickness. I'll just say that the flavor is phenomenal! Both of my kids loved it, which is a rare feat for something so veggie-centric.

And, the comfort of it all --- perfect for a cold January night. What is it about potatoes?
So, with my belly full of warm food, and a couple of glasses of rich red wine, I'm going to end my post with the happiest of moods. Tonight, there is no past or future. There is just pure contentment.... and an episode of Weeds -- thanks G, I am totally hooked. You were right - it's fabulous.

Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment